Not having a recent backup when you need it is a horrible experience. Avoid problems by backing up your Joomla website regularly.
Scenarios where you might have to restore your Joomla website are multitudinous but common experiences are:
- your site dying after installing an extension (generally when one extension conflicts with another)
- your site acting strangely after an update
- you find out your site has been hacked (and has links on every page linking to disreputable sites)
- you accidentally delete your website (no, seriously)
Backing up your Joomla website is a two-step process. You'll need to back up the files and the database.
How to Manually Backup a Joomla Website
- Go to cPanel (yourdomain.com/cpanel) and log in. Open the File Manager.
- Go to public_html to see the Joomla files, Select All, then Compress.
This will compress all the files into one zip file and automatically name it the first folder's name - administrator.zip. I like to rename it my domain name followed by the date. (eg yourdomain2016-09-15.zip)
- Click compress file then Close once that process is complete.
And there you'll see your zip backup file.
- Next, download that file to your computer.
- Go to cPanel and click phpMyAdmin.
- Select the database, then click export.
The Quick export option is ok, but I prefer to make a couple of database backups using the Custom option.
- First I download a zipped backup.
- Then I download a gzipped version.
You now have everything you need to restore your Joomla website should the unfortunate occur.